24h Hero Challenge
24h Hero Challenge happens weekly on Saturdays (GMT). They are composed of 5 battles and each battle carries a reward of 5 hero fragments of a specific hero. Previously these were categorised under Timed Events but moved to Hero Challenge when the 7 days Hero Challenges were introduced. The first 24h hero challenge started on 2016/11/05 and featured the Joker: Damaged Goods.
|Battle||Energy cost||Min. Hero Level||Refresh costs||Hero Fragments rewards|
|Node 1||20||1||100, 200, 300, ...||5|
|Node 2||40||5||100, 200, 300, ...||5|
|Node 3||60||10||100, 200, 300, ...||5|
|Node 4||80||15||100, 200, 300, ...||5|
|Node 5||100||20||100, 200, 300, ...||5|
Hero Challenge Gem Optimization
Ration your Energy
Hero Challenge battles are Energy intensive so it's a good idea to manage this resource carefully before and throughout the event. For instance you can have some energy lying around when the challenge starts to save gems. Some tips below:
- Stop consuming energy a few hours before the hero challenge starts: for example, if you are at level 51 and have 100 max energy, you can stop consuming energy 8h 20min (
100 energy / (60 min / 5) = 8.33 hr) before the event. This ensures you already have some energy for the first battles.
- Keep daily missions energy rewards from previous cycle uncollected until last minute (collect them just a few minutes before the reset): by keeping some energy unclaimed and then collecting it immediately before the event you can temporarily increase your energy above max level. Taking the above example of 100 max energy and considering your Daily Missions energy payout is 25, you can start the Hero Challenge with 125 energy thus avoiding buying more energy than you need to.
- After daily missions reset complete From the Void and Shazam! missions and collect their rewards: these missions don't require energy (as they are getting the essence from the collector, and compete in a daily event, which will be fearsome powers) and return 25 energy units.
- Spread your battles throughout the day: the hero challenge lasts 24h during which 288 energy units (
24h * 60min / 5min) are produced for free. Instead of trying to reach your hero fragments goal in the beginning of the event spread your battles to make use of this free energy.
- Consider not completing Daily Missions: completing the battles for Daily Missions cost a minimum of 75 Energy (150 Essence Gems) while the reward only amounts to 75 essence gems. Not participating on Story Campaign battles frees energy for the Hero Challenge.
- Save Battle Essence until Hero Challenge day and buy Arena Packs: since 2017/03/31 Arena Packs can reward Energy, opening Arena Packs during Hero Challenge day increases the chances for an extra energy boost.
- The last tip is a situational one, but if you can get close to level up before the event, and can level up during the event, you will gain access to that level up energy refill also, further increasing the gems saved on purchasing energy.
All together if a player level 51 follows the first 4 tips s/he will have a total of 438 free energy (
100 + 25 + 25 + 288 = 438) available for the challenge, potentially saving an equivalent of 876 gems. And if they can meet the situational one, that's even more.
Optimal Node Order
As depicted by the above table, the Hero Challenge nodes have different Energy costs and the daily energy production is not enough to cover running every battle. Given this energy limitation a question soon arises "is it cheaper to refresh a lower node and use the existing energy or to buy energy and run a higher node?". In the below table all energy costs are converted to the equivalent gem costs based on the shop pricing of energy so we can calculate the cost associated with each run. By doing this we can discover what is the most efficient order to run the different nodes. The table assumes you begin with no energy, so if you have energy saved up you can potentially save some gems if you choose to use your energy reserves on the event instead of other daily activities.
The optimal order to run these 24 hour Hero Challenges, in order to preserve gems, is given by the below table. By observing the table a pattern emerges, after running node 1 and 2 for the first times the optimal cycle is Node 3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > 5 .
|Order||Node||Run||Shards||Energy cost||Gems spent on energy[t 1]||Gems spent on refreshes||Total Gems Spent||Gems/shard||Accumulated Shards||Accumulated Gems Spenditure||Accumulated Gems/Shard||Rank[t 2]|
|18||Node 3||4th||5||60||120||300||420||[t 3]84||90||4440||49.3||4|
- 1 Energy = 2 Essence Gems, per the regular shop pack
- The bold lines with a rank mark the moment where, if you start with 0 shards, collect enough shards to get a Rank 1 (10 shards), R2 (25), R3 (50), etc hero
- The frequent single hero shop pack of 8000 gems per 100 shards has an implicit cost of 80 gems/shard. This means that from the 18th run onwards, refreshing nodes is more expensive than buying from the shop;
- For the full math behind the above table check the Hero Challenge Gem Optimisation Spreadsheet.
List of 24h Hero Challenges
Opening dates (GMT) of previous 7 days Hero Challenges:
Drop rates compared to Heroic Nodes
The energy cost per Hero Fragment for the 24h Hero Challenge nodes is depicted by the following table:
|Node||Energy||Hero Fragments||Energy per Fragment|
Below you can find the ratios for the Story Campaign Heroic Nodes:
|Node||Energy||Hero Fragments||Energy per Fragment|
|Chapter 1||10||0.33[h 1]||30|
- assuming each run has a 33% chance to drop a shard which is the subreddit's general consensus
The worst case scenario for the Hero Challenge is running node 5 which has a cost of 20 energy per hero fragment. The best case scenario for Heroic Node farming is running chapter 1 which costs on average 30 energy/fragment. These results show us that Hero Challenge missions are always cheaper, from an energy/fragments ratio perspective, than Heroic Node farming.
For a discussion on this topic see: Energy management: Hero Challenge vs Farming Heroic Nodes.
Below are examples of battle difficulties, requirements and bonus from the Medphyll event: